4/16/2013

Those Who Care

Just seconds after the first explosion rocked the area near the Boston Marathon finish line at about 2:50 p.m., there was a second blast a few blocks away on Boylston Street.
(Credit: Boston Globe)
 Since yesterday, April 15th, the hearts of those who have warm human blood flowing through their veins have grieved, ached and cried over the pain and loss of the many in Boston, Massachusetts who have even greater reason to grieve, ache and cry than we do.

Our minds are numb as we unsuccessfully try to understand the mentality of those who have not warm but cold blood in their veins and, seemingly, only desire to do evil. We do not comprehend such behavior other than that "the heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked; who can know it?" (Jer.17:9) 

When I was about five years old I had my first exposure to death. We used to stop by the house of a young couple with their baby girl to give them a ride to church. One day the young mother heated up a pot of water, preparing to give the baby a bath but the one-year-old pulled the pot of boiling water over onto herself and died. My parents thought it best that I go to the funeral. When I walked into the church for the service, I saw the young mother sitting on a bench in the back of the church, as far away from the tiny coffin as she could get. She of course was crying, her head bent over, her shoulders shaking with sobs. Amazing, the details that a five-year-old can remember.



(Credit: Reuters)
During this funeral, the song "Does Jesus Care?" was sung. It probably was not the first time I'd heard it but it is the first time I remember hearing it. Almost every time I hear it or think of the words I remember this incident, one of my very earliest memories.

Does Jesus care in the midst of this tragedy in Boston? Does God care that three lives were snuffed out and that many more are in acute physical pain while their loved ones are in acute emotional and mental pain? Do we care that they are in pain? Oh yes, Jesus does, God does and we do.

And we pray for them because there is little else that we can do and because we know that God answers prayer.

"Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (I Peter 5:7)

No comments:

Post a Comment