6/20/2010

Heritage

On this Father's Day I would like to remember my Dad by sharing a little bit about heritage. Having recently received an old document about my family has made me think more about my family history, roots and heritage during the past few days. Much could be said here but I am just SO amazed and grateful for this blessing from the Lord. I'm sure there are skeletons in the closet and, in fact, that sort of thing never seems to stop happening but the past several decades have given our family something about which to be proud and for which to be thankful. My parents were Baptist missionaries and they left to each of "us 7" a super-rich, Biblical, Christian heritage. Not only their making sure that we learned and understood Biblical doctrines and practices, but also their godly and inspiring examples, will forever be remembered by us. To top it off, Dad and Mom left us 6 books which they wrote! As I paged through "Our Family Missionary History" once again, I was smiling because I knew that our rich heritage would be known by generations to come of their offspring. Whether each of us choose to embrace that heritage, believe their Biblical teachings and live similar godly lives is certainly up to each one, but the knowledge of it is there and we are without excuse. Daddy, I miss you so much but am happy that you are there with your Lord and Saviour...and Mom and Bonnie and Hannah. We'll see you in the near future!

"The father of the righteous shall greatly rejoice: and he that begetteth a wise child shall have joy of him." (Proverbs 23:24)

No comments:

Post a Comment