2/08/2011

FRIENDS For Life

This will complete my posts about friends (click here for the first and here for the second) and I'm sure you aren't surprised to see the title. Without going into detailed explanations of this level of friendship, I believe I can safely say that, while everyone probably has many friends of the road, they may not have any or many friends for life. They are a rare find, a pure joy and worthy of being treasured.

The story of David and Jonathan is perhaps the most well-known Biblical example of this level of friendship. This beautiful story is found in I Samuel, beginning with chapter 18. Indeed, it is possible to have our soul "knit" with the soul of another and to love that person as we do our own soul (I Sam. 18:1).  A husband and wife can (or should!) experience this and so may two people who are blessed to have a "David and Jonathan" quality of friendship.

Sometimes it may appear to others that two such friends are just "friends for the road" but time will prove otherwise. Distance, lack of the means of communication, or some other factor are never a hindrance to keeping these two souls knit together.

Is there a higher level of friendship than this? Humanly speaking...no. But there is a "Friend For Eternity" and that is Jesus Christ. No one loves like Him, no one is as loyal, faithful and true. He is THE Friend that sticks closer than a brother (Proverbs 18:24)!


"A friend loves at all times..." (Proverbs 17:17)
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are My friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you..." (John 15: 13-14)

1 comment:

  1. I seem to remember you talking to me about this same thing once. It's hard to be far from the ones we consider true and good friends. Glad I can keep up with one on her rosy blog!

    M

    ReplyDelete