6/12/2011

I Shall Not Pass This Way Again

I have been consumed with memories these days as I sort through old slides, look through photo albums, and just...remember. There are memories of when our kids were little (we were a bit smaller, too!), memories of good times and bad, memories of interesting people and rough places and perfect days and...pink roses, lots of them. Yes, blessings and gifts from the Lord.

However, I know that I can't dwell in the past forever, I must concentrate on the present for there is a future to consider. Whatever was said and done in the past must be left there, nothing can be undone, nothing can be changed. "There are places to go and things to do" as someone has said.

I CAN decide what to do with my present! The Lord helping me, "this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3: 13,14)

I reread this morning something that I had written in my Bible several years ago. It seems quite appropriate for my thoughts here...

I expect to pass through this world but once;
Any good thing therefore that I can do,
Or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature,
Let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it,
For I shall not pass this way again. 
                              -Stephen Grellet (1773-1855)

No comments:

Post a Comment