2/13/2012

Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep

I know that's the beginning of a little children's prayer (which has at least 26 versions, I learned here!) and there is also a network of photographers by that name which has a very touching ministry. But did you know there is a verse in the Psalms which says almost the same thing?
"I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety." (Psalm 4:8)

I have often said that "home is where my bed is". My husband and I, as missionaries, are often traveling around to different places and churches, and of necessity we have to sleep in other beds. Some are comfy and some are not but I am always so happy to get home to my own bed! I'm sure that most of you feel the same way.

However, I do recall one time several years ago when I spent the night at a colleague's house enroute to traveling elsewhere. In comparison to my bedroom at home, this bedroom just seemed so extremely comfy and luxurious, I just felt so....blessed! So much so, that I cross-stitched the above verse from the Psalms and gave it to my hostess later on.

How wonderful to know that no matter what our bed is like, we can sleep in peace and safety knowing that the Lord is ever awake and watching over us. He never slumbers or sleeps but graciously gives this to His beloved ones (Psalm 127:2). With such a promise and with such sweet peace in our hearts, no wonder we can "lay ourselves down to sleep"!
                                                                    Sweet dreams!

1 comment:

  1. It is a comforting verse, and as you say, your own bed is very welcome. Do I spy a handmade quilt in the last photo?

    ReplyDelete