5/02/2010

Joy, Pure and Simple

Seeing this look on my granddaughter's face over getting a popsicle makes me smile every time I see it. It doesn't take much to make a child happy! Are we like that? Do pure and simple things give us joy? There are a million and one things that can give us joy, depending on who you are and what you like. I'm not taking about what gives you happiness, I'm talking about what gives you joy. Most people might not see the difference in those 2 emotions but those who have experienced the difference know what I'm talking about. The only difference my dictionary gives is the word "great". Well, at least they recognize that joy is something greater than happiness, congratulations to whoever wrote it! I heard a song several years ago about the joy that the Lord gives His children..."He Gives Me Joy". The music is a perfect combination with the words. I have searched but have not been able to find that music in print but perhaps someday I still will. What gives you joy? What gives me joy? I can think of a few things right away: -To love and be loved -Seeing my children walk in God's Way -Giving the Gospel -Seeing a new flower bloom -Holding a newborn baby -Thinking of the smile of a special someone -Smelling fresh bread -Hearing the music of the rain -Knowing that God guarantees my salvation for eternity And on and on I could go. Did you notice that all of our senses and every area of our life can experience joy? I didn't pay much attention to that until near the end of my list. I could post a blog on each of these things! For, after all, God's "good and perfect" gifts are the things that give us true joy. Pure and simple. "The joy of the Lord is your strength." -Nehemiah 8:10 (top photo: J. Reiner)

No comments:

Post a Comment